The use of multilayer boards has been increasing since their advent. These boards feature different numbers of layers. In electronic design, an engineer uses a multilayer board that suits the requirement of the project. 30 layer PCBs are commonly used in certain industries. These boards are advanced multilayer boards with very special features.
What is a 30 Layer PCB?
This is a type of multilayer board that comprises 30 layers of copper. A 30 layer PCB features other materials like prepreg and core. Also, this board is specifically designed to solve circuit failures in PCB. This is because it features more layers of copper.
Also, a 30 layer PCB features ground and power planes. These planes are very vital for the functionality of this board. Since the number of layers in this PCB are many, the fabrication process is complex. PCB manufacturers make use of substrates, silkscreen, and solder masks to fabricate this PCB.
A 30 layer PCB is specifically designed to feature 30 layers. Manufacturers design this board for high-density and high-speed applications. To maintain good functionality, this board features buried and blinded vias.
What is a 30 Layer PCB stackup?
Stackup means the arrangement of layers on a multilayer board. There are different ways to arrange layers on a multilayer board. The arrangement configuration depends on the application requirements. A 30 layer PCB stackup comprises different layers. Each of these layers has its function.
Furthermore, a 30 layer stackup describes the arrangement of the layers in sequential order. It offers crucial information about copper weights and material thickness. Stackup can also mean buildup. Also, it provides details of trace width for various controlled impedance traces. Also, stackup mainly consists of signal layers, power planes, and ground planes.
To ensure optimal performance in a 30 layer stackup, the top and bottom layers must be signal layers. While the other 28 layers can be signal layers, power planes, and ground planes. Furthermore, the ground planes and power planes are routed to minimize EMI and noise. Also, a 30 layer stackup features materials like prepreg and copper-clad laminate.
In a stackup, it is very crucial to route high current layers on the bottom and top layers. The power plane offers a steady supply of voltage to the PCB. In a 30 layer board, a component connects to the via if it needs to get power.
Manufacturing Process of a 30 Layer PCB
Fabricating a 30 layer PCB involves several steps. Each of these steps must be carefully carried out to achieve a functional board.
Inner layer core selection
The stackup determines the materials for the 30 layer PCB. Also, it provides details about the panel size and the copper weight. Also, it provides information about the type of epoxy glass.
The manufacturers clean the inner layers with chemicals. This helps to remove any contaminants from the surface of the copper.
Inner layer imaging
In this process, the manufacturer places an imaging material on the copper surface. This material conceals the desired copper circuitry. Therefore, it exposes the unwanted copper.
The manufacturer etches the inner layers to remove the unwanted copper. The photoresist removes to reveal the copper circuitry.
The layers go through pressing and heat in a vacuum chamber. The manufacturer applies a vacuum to get rid of the entrapped air. After this, the layers pass through heat and pressure.
The manufacturer loads the laminated board on the drill bed. The manufacturer drills the holes on the PCB to create through holes and vias.
The manufacturers must make the drilled holes conductive enough. The manufacturer fills the holes with copper. Also, this process can be successfully achieved via a chemical process, known as electroplating. In this process, the manufacturer deposits a thin layer of copper inside the drilled holes.
An AOI test is important to verify the functionality of this board. The Automated optical inspection reveals defects that the human eye can’t see.
Request 30 Layer PCB Quote , Pls Send PCB Files to Sales@raypcb.com Now
Design Rules for a 30 Layer PCB
There are certain rules that can help you achieve a functional 30 layer PCB.
- Use enough ground and power plane layers. These layers enhance signal integrity by creating a microstrip structure. Also, they help to distribute ground and power evenly.
- Use through-hole pads to minimize the size of inner signal layers.
- Adjacent signal layers should route in opposite directions on the board. You can route adjacent signal layers vertically and horizontally. This helps to prevent crosstalk problems.
- Keep the mass and power planes adjacent to each other. This will enhance the circuit’s functionality.
- Keep the signal layers very close to each other. Ensure the signal layers are adjacent to the plane layers.
- Use more ground planes since they can minimize ground impedance and radiation.
- Route high-speed signal to an optimized location. Ensure these signals are between intermediate layers.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a 30 Layer PCB
- It helps in producing complex and compact electronic devices.
- This board enables a high degree of connectivity when used in high-density applications.
- Its high-speed performance enables it to be idealfor use in several applications.
- A 30 layer PCB is very durable. The structure of this board is very robust. Therefore, it can withstand extreme temperatures.
- It provides a single connection point. This board makes them more connective.
- It is very complex to produce. Therefore, it requires more effort and time.
- This board usually has a low turnover rate. This is because of the increased complexity in its manufacturing process.
- It is also limited in supply. A 30 layer boardrequires high machinery for its production.
Applications of a 30 Layer PCB
A 30 layer board is available in most complex electronic devices. This board can function in varying temperatures. They are ideal for use in applications such as:
- Medical devices
- Satellites and telecommunication devices
- Computer systems
- Consumer electronics
- Space technology such as aerospace
- Data storage device
- Military equipment
- Industrial equipment
A 30 layer PCB is becoming a crucial part of most electronic devices. This is because of the special features and benefits this board offers.